segunda-feira, 13 de outubro de 2008

day 1 - departure delayed

Day 1

After realizing that my departure was going to be delayed for two days due to complications with some documents, and after a good awakening even with my morning grumpiness due to the delaying of the trip, I decided to take a last walk in the city that adopt me since I was about 12.

After making sure my documents were going to be ready on time, after all I don't want to risk another false departure and I'm more anxious than before to leave, I scrolled myself trough the city. In my newly acquired waking style, slow passed, observer and a open and friendly smile, I went from spot to spot with a different mind-set, it was my farewell walk.

Being a natural observer and curious person in my normal day by day life, I didn't found anything new that deserves being mentioned, everything is the same old city, besides all the old buildings and roads being reconstructed, after all 09 will be election year.

Strangely I seem to find a new refreshing and inspiring reason to continue my “goodbye city” tour.
Ok, this isn't by any means the city that never sleeps, and I'm not king of the hill, but my sensorial and emotional memory kicked in, they decided to get in touch with each other and congratulate me with pleasant memories of places and events I have experienced in my years living here. I'll leave hemingway the difficult task to describe the not so vibrant colours, the not so flourish smells and common tastes of the city.

Sweat memories of teenager loves, places were I have worked, stores that don't exist anymore, door steps were me and my friends had delivered some of the late night best jokes on earth... and it goes on and on. Every few steps and a head turn a new fresh smile pops to my face, people going by look at me with an inquirer look and even smile at my by sympathy. It is good to leave and realise that I have a history and a past in this small city. Some place I can return to and still feel that I belong somewhere.

To those that have been with me past few week's, and had listened to the repetitive answers following the repetitive questions about the reasons that catalysed my decision to travel, are thinking he is going insane, its a reality, he is definitively insane. “One day he says the city is to small, and lobbies are getting to him, a talk about wanting to find new grounds... tired of having chains...blah blah...”, it's a bit contradictory I have to agree, having a need to leave this place were I have so much of my history and feeling it is good to have a place to return to. But it is the truth.

Even not having second thoughts about going on this new adventure, I will miss “my” city.

4 comentários:

Anónimo disse...

Being privileged with a brother like this, I am not free that everyone always ask me : "Your brother ? Already left ?"; "Is he contactable ?"; "Is he happy ?"; "Why is he doing this ?"; "We will miss him...".
All those questions just make me think that my brother is loved by everyone, and everyone will miss him...

Just like me... After all those years living with him in the same bedroom, he being my Father, Brother and Best friend, of course that it will be difficult.
But as he did with me all these years... Supporting me in all my decisions, my duty as a brother is doing the same thing.

I'm always here for you!
"True to my own blood till the end!"

pitus disse...

It looks like its for real. i hope that you can find what you're looking for. Never forget that if you need anything in anywhere i'll be allways here (or there ;) ), and as we are talking about a big trip with lots of new experiences why not Angola?
And since its a fact never forget "cease the day"

pitus disse...

I forget one thing. Cince its your first post i would like to make a small description of you:
Ah, que ninguém me dê piedosas intenções,
Ninguém me peça definições!
Ninguém me diga: "vem por aqui"!
A minha vida é um vendaval que se soltou,
É uma onda que se alevantou,
É um átomo a mais que se animou...
Não sei por onde vou,
Não sei para onde vou
Sei que não vou por aí!

This is as I see you my friend
(sorry for the portuguese but its a kind of private joke )

Anónimo disse...

I'm not so good in english but just stop by to say "have a nice trip". we'll miss you, after all you ae one of us, in the "unusual way"

Kisses
Clara e malta Desigual